Thursday, November 20, 2008

My Lesson Presentation

Teaching my lesson about Thanksgiving on Tuesday was a great new experience. Honestly, I was so nervous because I knew that my classmates had the behavioral cards, and all I had in mind was “what I am going to do to control the students when they start misbehaving?” I knew it was going to be a big challenge, because it was going to be something completely different from what I had experienced when teaching in other classes, where my classmates do what I tell them to do.

I felt like in a jungle! I wanted to have the control, when it was so difficult. For example, some students did not want to do their assignment, others insulted each other, some students did not want to share the materials, another student ripped the materials, the tattle teller, and the student who cut her hair. I went crazy, especially when I didn’t know what to do when, Adalise was calling me all the time, and telling me in detail what was going on around, I didn’t know whether she was telling me the truth or not. I definitely wished having extra eyes to observe. I tried as much as possible, not turn my back to the students, and keep an eye on everyone. I felt like Rachel said, “a robot.”

Wow! A lot of events occurred in so little time. I tried my best and I wanted to be nice and fair. However my classmates did make it a big challenge. Well after a while, I felt like if I was acting. I tried to remain calm and I avoided screaming because personally I hate when teachers scream to the students. I think that that is not the proper way to handle a classroom. Screaming creates a tense environment where the communication between students and teachers become more difficult. I think that there must be causes for students to misbehave, and by yelling at the students, teachers will not resolve anything.

After experiencing teaching in an uncontrollable classroom, I feel a little more prepare to face a classroom. This experience has helped me to learn so much of the things that I should do, and the things I shouldn’t do. I enjoyed teaching my class because I received so much feedback. I am also enjoying my classmates’ lessons because I am learning from them too. I think everyone is doing a good job, especially when we are making the classroom environment a big challenge. Thank you girls, and Dr. Luongo for your advices, I really appreciated them.

"If you find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere" - anonymous

3 comments:

Dr. Luongo said...

Wendy,

What a nice self-reflection posting.

You claimed that "all I had in mind was 'what I am going to do to control the students when they start misbehaving?'" This is really what will happen when you start teaching. Everyday you will have to be prepared for the unexpected.

Great work!

Kristina said...

Hi Wendy!
First off, I just want to tell you I love the quote you ended your blog with - I think it is SO true in many aspects of life. Through trials and tribulations, we work hard to get where we need to be and the result, therefore, is that much more rewarding. Regarding your presentation, I think you did a great job! You handled the class well with the behavioral problems and now have some experience with them if they are present in any of your students someday. Just remember that we are in school to learn and NOT be perfect. So it's okay to make mistakes! It happens to everyone and we can help each other along the way. =)

Norma's Blog said...

Hey, well I think that you did a good job and I enjoyed making the turkey, well after you punished me.haha. I can't remember if I ripped the paper during your class though, hmm I think I did. You were very calm about it though. You're not the yeller type which is also good. =D