Thursday, November 20, 2008

Report Cards

Report cards have always made me feel anxious. I always expect to do my best in every class, and I love looking at the letter A in my reports. It makes me feel proud of myself, and it compensates all the effort that I put to obtain the grade. Well, I remember looking at my report cards from elementary school, being an A student. Then in high school, it was pretty much the same way, always expecting to get an A in most of my classes. To get a letter B disappointed me a little bit, because I felt that I could have done better. However, when I was in my senior year in high school, I took AP Chemistry, and Calculus, I really started appreciating those letters B, because those two classes were so challenging and I knew I had worked so hard to achieve a B. You start appreciating things when they are hard to get.

The report cards are a communication between parents, students, and teachers. The report card shows where the student is standing at the point in time. Some students my try to improve, however there are some students who really do not care, how they are doing. As long as they pass with a D, for them is okay. In my case, I always wanted to do better, but I remember some students who only worried about what they parents were going to say about those C and D the day, of parent’s night. Once parent’s night was over, the anxiety was gone and they continued earning C and D. All I can say is that every student is different, and some my get motivate to improve, others will continue struggling to obtain at least a C or D, and some will not care at all what the report card says.

No comments: