Monday, November 3, 2008

Portfolio

When I think of the word Portfolio the first thing in mind is a collection of school work. I created my first Portfolio in eight grade, although the teacher was the one who picked all the pieces of work for the portfolio. It was the first time that I created a portfolio. Then in high school, I had the opportunity of picking my own pieces of work for the portfolio, although for the only classes that I had a portfolio were for History and English. Actually, I never thought of Portfolios in a different way, but just as a collection of work that I had to take with me to the next year.
Now thinking about portfolios, it brings me back to all the memories, all the time and effort that I dedicated to every piece of work that back then were just assignments that I had to do. Actually is great to remember all those things because I still have some of the work which I saved do it to the fact that it took me a certain amount of time and effort.
We can imagine many things about someone when we look at a portfolio. A portfolio is an introduction of the type of work, which we can expect from someone. We can even imagine how a person is, but I will always have in mind that “we should always be open to the possibility that people’s work will in a sense change depending on the mood and effort.” Every day there is a new story to tell, so what a better place to save it that in a portfolio. Therefore, as a future educator I am considering the idea of encouraging my students to have their own portfolio, at least in my classroom.

1 comment:

Dr. Luongo said...

You claimed, "We can even imagine how a person is, but I will always have in mind that “we should always be open to the possibility that people’s work will in a sense change depending on the mood and effort.”"

This is a true statement and one to remember forever.

Great work!